Teacher Training FAQs
1. What are the prerequisites for the teacher training?
- Applicants must be minimum 21 years of age to attend the teacher training.
- A minimum of six months of continuous Bikram Yoga practice at an affiliated studio taught by a certified Bikram Yoga teacher is required.
- A written recommendation from your teacher is required as your instructor is the best judge of your practice and your readiness for the training.
- You must be physically fit and able to complete two full Bikram Yoga classes daily, attend anatomy classes, lectures, posture clinics and memorize the Bikram Yoga dialogue.
- Your application will be evaluated by the teacher training staff. You will be informed if you are accepted.
- If you can not satisfy all the requirements then you will need to send an additional letter to Bikram explaining your case and your application will be reviewed by Bikram before admittance is approved.
2. What if there is no Bikram Yoga studio where I live?
Applicants with extensive home practice of the Bikram Yoga Method will be considered on a case by case basis. Please send additional photos of your postures and a letter explaining your case.
3. When is the last date to register for the teacher training?
The training enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline for applications for the Fall 2015 training is the 25st September 2015.
After this date it is on a case by case basis.
The deadline for scholarship applications is the 19th Feb 2015.
4. How can I secure my enrollment in the training?
By sending in your complete paperwork and payment.
5. How many students are in a teacher training session?
We usually have between 350 to 440 students at each training.
6. When is Check In time?
Check in time is 1 pm on September 13th 2015 and check out time is November 15th at 11 am.
7. Does everyone who completes the program receive the Bikram Yoga Teacher Certification?
Certification is not guaranteed simply by attending the Teacher Training program. You must pass the anatomy tests, attend and participate in all posture clinics, lectures, be able to deliver the Bikram Yoga dialogue for each posture to Bikram’s satisfaction, and demonstrate proficiency in the Bikram Yoga postures. A midterm exam will identify those students not meeting certifying standards and additional help will be available to them. At graduation, those students not meeting certifying standards may be afforded additional opportunities for practice and certification.
8. How many Yoga costumes should I bring?
As there are two classes a day, you will want to bring at least 4-5 Yoga changes with you. No bandeau tops. No green.
9. Should I bring a Yoga Mat?
Yes, you should bring your own mat or you can buy one at the Bikram shop in the hotel.
10. What about the Dialogue?
Your dialogue will be mailed to you once you have made a payment. Remember you will use your Dialogue for the rest of your life. It is a good idea to buy a laminated copy at the Bikram Boutique at training. Try and learn as much as you can in advance of training to make it a more enjoyable experience.
11. What kind of clothes should I bring?
Make sure you have enough casual, comfortable, warm clothes with you (like hoodies, fleece, tracksuits , thick socks, house slippers) - the nights will get long and air condition is on. NO GREEN WHATSOEVER. For weekends or graduation you might want to pack something nice. You will also need to bring a cover up for before and after class.
12. How do I wash my clothes?
Details will be given to you at orientation. Small detergent bottles/soap for daily yoga cloth wash will be handy. You might want to bring a small clothes rack/rail to dry your yoga clothes.
13. Should I bring any extra nutritional supplements?
It is a good idea to stock up on whatever nutritional supplements you take as you will have limited time for shopping. Electrolytes, protein powder and proper food (!!!) will make your life easier. It's a good idea to bring some form of Electrolytes with you.
14. Can I cook in the room?
No. Due to fire hazard and safety requirements you will not be allowed to have any kind of toaster, rice cooker, oven, grill, hot plate, etc.. in the room.
15. Should I bring writing utensils?
Definitely yes. A notepad can come in handy as well as there are no desks to write on.
16. Are there supermarkets close by?
Yes there will be lots of shops and supermarkets close by
17. What will the Hotel provide?
18. Can I email my paperwork?
No, we need all original paperwork by mail. You may email your posture photos for approval to training in advance but all other paperwork must be mailed.
19. How much of the dialogue should I know in advance of training?
The more dialogue you know in advance of training the better an experience you will have. Everyone learns at different speeds. A good guide is to know the standing series in advance. More mature students may take a bit longer to learn.
20. Can I book my own accommodation?
No, the hotel accommodation is mandatory and included in the price.
21. What is the minimum deposit I can pay to secure my place at the training?
You can pay a deposit of $4000 now to secure your place and the balance is due before the 19th March 2015.
22. How do I make a payment by bank transfer?
Once your application has been reviewed and accepted to the training you can firstname.lastname@example.org for bank details (allow 15 days)
23. Can I get a letter from my doctor instead of the medical waiver?
No, we need all students taking the training to sign our medical wavier. If your doctor will not sign it then you need to find another doctor who will. You will not be allowed to take the yoga classes without a signed medical waiver (signed by a GP)
24. Can I attend the training if I am under 21 years?
If you are under 21 years I will need a letter from your parent or guardian and your studio owner stating that they are aware of the physical and emotional demands of the training and feel you are mature enough and ready to take part. Your application will then be reviewed by Bikram before you are approved for training.
25. Where can I get drinking water?
There will be a Bikram shop at the hotel where you can buy water
26. What is the cancellation and refund policy?
If you cancel 30 days before training starts you can get a refund less $100 admin fee.
If you cancel later than 30 days before training starts there are no refunds given however you can come to a later training.
27. Can I get information on opening a school?
Only Bikram yoga teachers can open a Bikram yoga school. So the first step would be to do the training. We cannot give out information on opening a franchise until you are a qualified teacher and have been teaching for at least 6 months. Please note that taking the training does not give you the right to open a Bikram yoga school but it’s a step in the right direction.
28. Can I bring my child with me to training?
It is not advisable to bring your child to the training with you.
The 9 week training is very intensive and you will have very little time to spend with family and friends.
Please review the daily schedule on our website.
If you want to bring your child with you then you would also have to bring a family member to look after the child 24 hours a day during the training and book accommodations for them.
29. How do I find a roommate?
If you do not have a roommate request we will assign someone to you.
30. How can I find my own roommate?
If you do not have a roommate request you can sign up to the Bikram Yoga Fall 2015 FaceBook group page and meet other students. All roommate requests need to be emailed to email@example.com before the 1st September.